Intone (0.20 - alpha release) Elementary based mplayer frontend
c_c
2009-04-05 06:59:35 UTC
Hi,
Well, it took a lot longer than I thought - but finally - here's the alpha release of Intone - a mplayer frontend (for audio files - as of now) in C. Uses about 2% CPU (max) while running - memory goes up depending on your playlist - on my phone (~2500 songs) it uses about 15%.
All you need to do is download the attached ipk and install it. Intone depends on sqlite3 and libelementary. If you have elementary on your phone upgraded to a level where the elementary test application shows you a demo of sliders and genlists, Intone should run on your phone.
The recommended way to organise music is to put all the files in a folder (lets say Music), with sub folders named after artists (say Music ->Eagles) and with sub sub folders holding albums (that becomes Music->Eagles->Hell Freezes Over->*.mp3). That way, Intone can correctly organise your music collection into albums. It automatically creates a default playlist containing all songs and individual playlists for each album. I have added features to manage playlists and albums - but there is always scope for improvement.
Intone uses a sqlite database as a backend for the playlists and albums. That should, hopefully, give flexibility in adding more features later.

Things that don't work as of now :-

1. Feedback. - I haven't been able to add dialogs yet. So - wait a little while for Intone to finish long operations (like adding your music collection for the first time - my 2500 odd songs took about 6 secs - the button remains pressed too)
2. Dialogs for deleting stuff. It's safe - Intone does not delete any files - but it does delete tables(albums and playlists) - and it doesn't yet ask for confirmation.
3. Seek. Dont know how to use the slider for seeking. Any Ideas?
4. DBUS. - Haven't gotten around to learning edbus - so no occupy resouce CPU or pause on incoming calls yet. Will take some more time.
5. Album art and lyrics. - Don't yet know the best way to go about doing this other than downloading art from some retailers etc. Ideas welcome.
6. Toggle View. Not working yet. I intend having 2 more views - Album Art and Lyrics.

I'm also looking at adding support for the button that the standard handsfree has - as a volume control (3 preselcted levels in rotation) or to go to next song (1 click) and prev song (2 clicks). Any suggestions?

Since I also have half a podcast manager built (which I couldn't finish in time for the competition) - I'm also looking at adding that support in the future.

Feedback Required
1. Bug reports.
2. Artwork - Ideas / png's / whatever
3. Elementary help. I have a lot of questions. Here are a few :-
a) How do I reduce the vert height of 1 entry in the genlist? Right now each line in the list is too high (almost 3 text lines high) - so I get only about 4 song names on the screen. Can I reduce the height to say 1.5 text line - 2 text line?
b) How do I use the pager with a genlist? In my case the pager works - but it doesn't show the genlist - the buttons all show up though.
c) Dialogs and progress bars. I know elementary doesn't have them - but can I make/have a simple ty solution for the time being?

Oh! And I'm only adding .oga, .mp3, .m4a and wma files into the albums. Any other types I need to add?

I'll upload the code to intone.googlecode.com soon.
All feedback welcome. Thanks.
intone_0.20_arm.ipk
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
2009-04-05 07:05:48 UTC
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 23:59:35 -0700 (PDT) c_c <***@yahoo.com> said:

where's the source... luke? :)
--
http://n2.nabble.com/Intone-%280.20---alpha-release%29-Elementary-based-mplayer-frontend-tp2587826p2587826.html
kimaidou
2009-04-05 07:28:15 UTC
Hi

for album cover, the best way is to look for a file called cover.png or
folder .png (or jpgs) and display it.

Thanks for this 1st release
Post by Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
where's the source... luke? :)
-
c_c
2009-04-05 08:10:24 UTC
Hi,
Well, the code is now on intone.googlecode.com. Go easy - I'm coding in elementary and sqlite3 for the first time :-) - so I know it's pretty rough!

@kimaidou - I'm looking more at a method of downloading album art from the internet - for albums without any art. Also the lyrics (which is easier).
Thanks for the suggestion though - was missing that one.
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
2009-04-05 08:31:34 UTC
Post by c_c
Hi,
Well, the code is now on intone.googlecode.com. Go easy - I'm coding in
elementary and sqlite3 for the first time :-) - so I know it's pretty rough!
@kimaidou - I'm looking more at a method of downloading album art from the
internet - for albums without any art. Also the lyrics (which is easier).
Thanks for the suggestion though - was missing that one.
ok... going to go light...

you need to clean up your svn! it's full of auto-generated files! :) clean
clean clean! give it some order! :)
you need to not code paths like /usr/share/intone/intone_songs.db into the code
also thats a file you will modify - it should be in the users homedir like
~/.intone/.... ummm.. gui wise - you should respond to delete request callbacks
(see elm code - the elm wiki on e's trac etc.). otherwise.. i'll skip the rest
and go easy :) just some suggestions. otherwise.. good job! :)
The Rasterman (Carsten Haitzler) ***@rasterman.com
c_c
2009-04-05 07:15:13 UTC
On Sat, 4 Apr 2009 23:59:35 -0700 (PDT) c_c <***@yahoo.com> said:

where's the source... luke? :)

Ha Kind of expected you to be among the first to post. Well, I'm still travelling - and have a cr**y to no connection. Will post code by evening today.
Sebastian Billaudelle

intone_0.20_arm.ipk
Robin Paulson
2009-04-05 08:52:16 UTC
2009/4/5 c_c <***@yahoo.com>:
excellent, i'd love to have a look at this - would you be willing to
add it, and it's dependencies (libelementary0 et al), to opkg.org?

cheers
Johny Tenfinger
2009-04-05 09:09:50 UTC
Opkg? And then hearing complaining of all Om2008.12 lames? Don't do that! ;x

e_dbus is only mainloop. After setting up SessionBus with that
mainloop you can use dbus as always.

To async callbacks look at reply_handler in dbus and ecore_idler_add
in GUI. Examples (in python) you can find in shr-settings.

For dialogs, use Inwin widget. For seeking use Slider, as it's used in
shr-settings Display (backlight) module.

Looks like you are implementing very good idea. I will look at it
later, when only I have my FR near ;)
hab keen oh ne
2009-04-05 09:29:12 UTC
Good job, really! Thanks to C much faster than pythm, besides Intone seems to have more functions. Nevertheless, I would improve the look, its not really cool compared to any iSoftware. Besides, I have experienced mplayer to be too slow on the Freerunner. I you want to do more than only hear music, or click any button, the music is corrupted. Under Debian Im using xmms with gxmms, and it is much faster. I can even move windows and here music at the same time, without any problems. Just an idea, maybe its not mplayer's but SHR's fault, I dont know, just an idea.

________________________________

c_c
2009-04-05 11:23:06 UTC
Hi,
@ Rasterman - OK - Cleaned up the svn. This should be better. Will handle the delete requests for each window - is that why the program segfaults on exit?
And, yes, I need to shift the songs db to ~/.intone/

@Robin Paulson - Intone at opkg.org That should help.

@Johny Tenfinger - I am using a slider that gets updated by a timer to indicate the current position. Seeking using the slider's value doesn't help because that (seeking) function then gets called every sec when I update the slider. Breaks up the sound pretty bad !

@hab keen oh ne - mplayer works fine for me on FSO. I can open other windows and type sms's while songs are playing in the background, comfortably. Try it and let me know if it's slower for you on debian.

So - the svn should be fine now at intone.googlecode.com and the ipk is also available at opkg.org. HTH.
Sebastian Hammerl
2009-04-05 11:27:43 UTC
Hi,

I get the following error when starting with shr testing:

intone: error while loading shared libraries: libecore_input.so.0:

which library do i have to install?

greetings, sebastian
intone_0.20_arm.ipk
Johny Tenfinger
2009-04-05 13:34:04 UTC
Post by Sebastian Hammerl
which library do i have to install?
Probably opkg upgrade or shr-unstable ;)
Hi,
c_c
2009-04-06 02:14:48 UTC
Hi,

Hi,
I get the following error when starting with shr testing:
intone: error while loading shared libraries: libecore_input.so.0:

You'll probably need to upgrade to shr-unstable. Intone needs the newer releases of elementary (and enlightenment therefore).

One check is to run the elementary tests application and see if the demos for sliders and genlists are available. If not - upgrade to shr-unstable.
Sebastian Hammerl
2009-04-09 08:46:05 UTC
mmh, ok so i will have to update. thanks
Sebastian Hammerl
Sebastian Hammerl
c_c
2009-04-09 11:03:17 UTC
Hi,
Sorted out the error on exit. Here's the latest version intone_0.24_arm.ipk
kimaidou
2009-04-09 11:46:06 UTC
Hi

Could you please give the link the the mplayer version to use ?
There are a lot of different builds, with glamo, ppt, etc. I am completely
lost :D
Do you have a wiki page where you give installation and usage instructions
as mplayer config file, playlist backup, etc. ?

thanks in advance
http://n2.nabble.com/Intone-%280.20---alpha-release%29-Elementary-based-mplayer-frontend-tp2587826p2610455.html
c_c
2009-04-09 12:04:00 UTC
Hi,

Could you please give the link the the mplayer version to use ? There are a lot of different builds, with glamo, ppt, etc. I am completely lost :D

Well, I've been using the standard version that comes with the unstable FSO repository. No particular version required - just that whichever one you use should support the audio files you want to play.

Do you have a wiki page where you give installation and usage instructions as mplayer config file, playlist backup, etc. ?

Sorry, haven't gotten around to making a wiki page. Will do so today. There are no particular mplayer config files required. No playlist backups etc - my mail with all the sql stuff was only because I changed one table and so needed to replace the db file for everyone.
c_c
2009-04-09 12:42:36 UTC
Hi,
I have been using this version of mplayer from FSO.

Gen usage details
Type CPU Mem
ogg ~53% 3.1%
m4a ~21% 2.7%
mp3 ~8.7% 2.4%

PaulTT has compiled a version of mplayer with tremor available here .
This is better for ogg as below :-
Gen usage details
Type CPU Mem
ogg ~25.9% 2.7%
m4a ~24.7% 3.1%
mp3 ~7.5% 2.5%

Just thought I'll tell everyone.
c_c
2009-04-09 13:24:03 UTC
Hi,
A basic wiki page is available here now.
kimaidou
2009-04-09 13:54:40 UTC
thanks very much
http://n2.nabble.com/Intone-%280.20---alpha-release%29-Elementary-based-mplayer-frontend-tp2587826p2611074.html
c_c
2009-04-10 01:26:02 UTC
Hi,
I have experienced an only black page when running intone while I was upgrading packages. This might be related to the elementary theme default.edj. After upgrading, things are back to normal - except that I cant see text in entry boxes anymore.
Any Ideas?
Oh - and paroli gives me an error that it wants to replace default.edj owned by elementary theme. Is that related by any chance?
I'm using FSO 5.1 - but my feeds point to openmoko.org/unstable.
Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
2009-04-10 03:56:37 UTC
Post by c_c
Hi,
I have experienced an only black page when running intone while I was upgrading packages. This might be related to the elementary theme default.edj. After upgrading, things are back to normal - except that I cant see text in entry boxes anymore.
Any Ideas?
Who knows... I'm still getting the "black page" bug since the day "1"
I've run it, and I'm using e17 svn compiled on 2009-04-02 :/

I'll have to try with a new elementary theme... Mhmh
--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/
Mirko Lindner
2009-04-14 09:46:15 UTC
Hi,
Post by c_c
Oh - and paroli gives me an error that it wants to replace default.edj owned by elementary theme. Is that related by any chance?
I think paroli might play a role here. The elm theme we install sets the
text color in elm-entries to white rather than black. Afaik there is no
way to apply themes on a widget by widget basis (at least not in py-elm)
that is why I chose that path. So if you need black text and can't see
it anymore after paroli is installed that might be the reason ...

Not sure how to change this ... any ideas?

/mirko
c_c
2009-04-14 10:40:55 UTC
Hi,
Post by c_c
Oh - and paroli gives me an error that it wants to replace default.edj owned by elementary theme. Is that related by any chance?
The elm theme we install sets the text color in elm-entries to white rather than black.
Ah! That explains it. Hmmm - Well, it looks like I'll have to see if I can change over my entry's (there's only 1) background to black. But there must be a better way - we surely can't have changes applied system-wide based on the theme used for one App.
Frankly, I'm not all that adept at elementary - I guess someone else will have to show us a way forward.
Thomas Seiler
2009-04-14 18:15:29 UTC
Hi,
The elm theme we install sets the text color in elm-entries to white rather than black.
 Ah! That explains it. Hmmm - Well, it looks like I'll have to see if I can change over
my entry's (there's only 1) background to black.
But there must be a better way - we surely can't have changes applied system-wide
based on the theme used for one App.
I think there is some infrastructure already there, working on the
edje group level...

Please check the Elementary wiki page:
http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/wiki/Elementary

Quoting the section about elementary envionment variables...
ELM_THEME - This sets the theme(s) to be used in order from most
preferential, to least, just with the theme name (minus the .edj extension)
with a : character delimiting the name. A simple personal theme would be
mytheme. If you wish to primarily use your personal theme, and then fall
back to another, you can do: mytheme:fallback.
This allows as many levels as you like. It is always assumed that the final
mytheme:fallback:systemfallback:othersystem. Remember theme names
like "mytheme" mean it assumes a mytheme.edj is in $HOME/.elementary/themes
OR if not found here first, it is in $ELM_DATA_DIR/themes under the same
name.
Themes in your users theme dir always take precedence. A Theme name can
ALSO be a relative or full path to a file. In this case the fill filename
../../relative/path/file.edj:./dir/file.edj. With full or relative paths searching in order
still happens. Note that there is a convenience shortcut for the users home
directory of ~/. So if a theme element is ~/dir/file.edj then ~/ is expanded to
the the value of $HOME (the users home directory).
The way I understand this is that for every edje groud that is needed
to render a
widget, elementary will check the *.edjes in the order they are listed in the
ELM_THEME env variable. If a group is not found, it will check the next *.edj

Digging deeper, there are two undocumented API calls in Elementary.h:

EAPI void elm_theme_overlay_add(const char *item);
EAPI void elm_theme_extension_add(const char *item);

I think these allow the application to add their own themes app dependent *.edj,

either _before_ ELM_THEME (that would be elm_theme_overlay_add() )
or _after_ ELM_THEME (that would be elm_theme_extension_add() )

The relevant code is at:
http://trac.enlightenment.org/e/browser/trunk/TMP/st/elementary/src/lib/elm_theme.c?rev=#L50

I have not tested this, but the code looks as if it would be in working shape.
Hope this is usefull nevertheless...

Cheers,
Thomas
--
Excercise 17:
If the human brain was simple enough for us to understand we'd be so
Prove this by induction.
c_c
2009-04-22 01:53:38 UTC
Hi,
Post by Thomas Seiler
EAPI void elm_theme_overlay_add(const char *item);
EAPI void elm_theme_extension_add(const char *item);
I think these allow the application to add their own themes app dependent *.edj,
either _before_ ELM_THEME (that would be elm_theme_overlay_add() )
or _after_ ELM_THEME (that would be elm_theme_extension_add() )
Yup. That works. Thanks!

@Mirko : Well, here's what I did to get entry's back to black text.

Added these line in the program:-
const char *theme = "intone";
elm_theme_iverlay_add(theme);

Cut out the entry group from the original elementary theme default.edj.
Saved it as intone.edj in /home/root/.elementary/themes/intone.edj.

And, its done. I get back black text for my entries. Simple - once you know
how - and with people to show you the way!

Thanks again Thomas!
Yorick Moko
2009-04-10 11:30:53 UTC
am i the only one that doesn't see a link in c_c's messages?
Russell Hay

c_c
2009-04-11 03:57:46 UTC
Hi,

am i the only one that doesn't see a link in c_c's messages?

I've been using nabble - and hence the links embedded in html. WIll post text links at the bottom of my mail in the future. Thanks for pointing that out!
Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
2009-04-06 18:03:35 UTC
Post by c_c
[...]
Very nice, as I already said :P
Post by c_c
1. Feedback. - I haven't been able to add dialogs yet. So - wait a little while for Intone to finish long operations (like adding your music collection for the first time - my 2500 odd songs took about 6 secs - the button remains pressed too)
I'd suggest you to use as many ecore_* function as you can to use the e
loop without freezing your app.
Post by c_c
2. Artwork - Ideas / png's / whatever
I'd add just a "tango note" and a "tango folder with note" for the songs
and the albums without a specific cover. Use that instead.
Post by c_c
3. Elementary help. I have a lot of questions. Here are a few :-
a) How do I reduce the vert height of 1 entry in the genlist? Right now each line in the list is too high (almost 3 text lines high) - so I get only about 4 song names on the screen. Can I reduce the height to say 1.5 text line - 2 text line?
This generally is done automatically based on the elementary finger size
and on the scale factor. But I've seen that it can change also if the
icon used is quite big. However I didn't see that running intone in my
PC (using illume BTW).
Post by c_c
b) How do I use the pager with a genlist? In my case the pager works - but it doesn't show the genlist - the buttons all show up though.
Give a look to my eTube code in projects.openmoko.org. It has an
implementation for it (BTW it works only in Illume WM, not in my
standard system due to the fact that the window collapse without
considering the preset evas size at all!)
Post by c_c
c) Dialogs and progress bars. I know elementary doesn't have them - but can I make/have a simple ty solution for the time being?
Dialog-like windows examples are in the Elementary wiki, maybe you could
use them. Anyway I think that using an inwin is a good idea.

About the progress bar, I really think that Elementary needs a widget to
write them easily (I figure that they can do using a edj theme).

Bye!
--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/
Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
2009-04-06 22:42:12 UTC
Post by c_c
[...]
Ah, why don't you use the ecore_exe_pipe_run function for controlling
mplayer?
--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/
Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
2009-04-07 00:16:52 UTC
Post by c_c
3. Seek. Dont know how to use the slider for seeking. Any Ideas?
The attached patch (intone-seek-fix.patch) does the work.
However I've done another one (intone-seek-fix.patch) that reads
continuously (every 0.5 sec) the real position from mplayer and also if
it uses more CPU (I figure, not tested in my FR) it could be better.
However I've not finished that and it requires a fix (since it actually
makes intone hang as soon as the song reaches its end) too.

By the way actually the slider shows the position in seconds; why not
using the percentage value?
--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/
Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
2009-04-07 00:28:44 UTC
Post by Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
Post by c_c
3. Seek. Dont know how to use the slider for seeking. Any Ideas?
The attached patch (intone-seek-fix.patch) does the work.
Ah, I forgot to put an
if (timer1)
before ecore_timer_freeze and ecore_timer_thaw. Anyway I think that the
slider should be hidden if nothing is playing...
--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/
c_c
2009-04-07 02:32:13 UTC
Hi,
@Treviño - Thank you for the feedback and the patch. I'll try and incorporate as much as I can / understand (my e knowledge is pretty scratchy considering this is the first app I've ever written that uses any e). Right now also looking at:-

a) Bug fixes - like the fact that if you first select a song and play it, the playing subroutine does not update the song_index. (That's done though.) So, if you press play next - the app plays the second song in the playlist - instead of the song next to the song you selected.

b) GUI / Usability improvements - Like an album art view (minus the album art till I figure out a better way to get art from the net) and a lyrics view which seems easier right now. Also, icons on the buttons, button and list size improvements and so on.

c) Any show stoppers as far as performance is considered.

I'd suggest you to use as many ecore_* function as you can to use the e loop without freezing your app.

I think I'm using pretty much all e functions - except those that handle the database. The db functions might be slower - thats one area that could do with some help. Can you point out areas that could be improved using e functions instead? I don't even know that there are e functions for a lot of things :-) I'll read through a few header files to see what I can pick up.

I'd add just a "tango note" and a "tango folder with note" for the songs and the albums without a specific cover. Use that instead.

Nice Idea. Will try that as soon as I can.
Post by c_c
Can I reduce the height to say 1.5 text line - 2 text line?
This generally is done automatically based on the elementary finger size and on the scale factor. But I've seen that it can change also if the icon used is quite big. However I didn't see that running intone in my
PC (using illume BTW).

I can't seem to change the height using scale factor on my PC. Maybe I ought to try it on the FR too.

(BTW it works only in Illume WM, not in my standard system due to the fact that the window collapse withoutconsidering the preset evas size at all!)

Yup ! Thats exactly what happened to me. OK - so I should try it on the FR. I have the code for it commented out in gui.c. Will try it on the FR ASAP.

Dialog-like windows examples are in the Elementary wiki, maybe you could use them.

I actually wrote a sub-routine (popup_alert in gui.c) to handle a Yes/No kind of dialog. I think I got stuck at passing the value back - because the widow does not grab focus for the duration of the dialog. How do I do that? Must be pretty simple - just that my ecore knowledge is almost non-existent right now :-D

Ah, why don't you use the ecore_exe_pipe_run function for controlling mplayer?

Ha ! Sorry for being repetitive - but I didn't know it existed! Thanks for pointing that out.

The attached patch (intone-seek-fix.patch) does the work.

Thanks. Will check that out. Hopefully, thats one thing struck off my list!

By the way actually the slider shows the position in seconds; why not using the percentage value?

Well, I can try that and see how it feels.

Ah, I forgot to put an if (timer1) before ecore_timer_freeze and ecore_timer_thaw. Anyway I think that the slider should be hidden if nothing is playing...

OK. Can try that out too - hiding the slider. Will give me one more line too.

I intend releasing a new version as soon as I can get these things done. There are a few ideas I have, though, that remain unimplemented:-

1. How can I hide the playlist and instead replace it with an image and some labels (for the album art view)? Can't I avoid the need to use a pager? This way - I also get to write lesser code (and save memory).
I'm thinking that if I could control the visibility of a few Evas objects (based on the user clicking the view button) I could have all my views (playlist, albumart and lyrics) in one window itself. Can that be done?

2. Can I have a slider kind of menu coming in from the sides/bottom? I know it can be done using evas - but I don't know how. That way I can shift out the top 3 buttons (and more that I will add later) from the view so increasing my view area - and yet have them available for use.

3. I need to add some colours to the buttons (apart from the icons). How do I do that? Do you think that will help - or should it be done by making a new theme?

Thanks again - everybody - for the suggestions. I'm assuming from the lack of bug-reports that either there aren't many show stoppers - or that people haven't got the time to let me know about them yet. Hope it's the first reason though :-)

Any / more feedback is really welcome. So go ahead!
c_c
2009-04-07 15:30:09 UTC
Hi,
Here is a newer version with some bug fixes and seeking. intone_0.21_arm.ipk
Łukasz Pankowski
2009-04-07 22:42:03 UTC
Post by c_c
Hi,
Here is a newer version with some bug fixes and seeking. intone_0.21_arm.ipk
Hi!

With seeking it is a nice finger friendly player, thanks for that!
Works great for me on shr-unstable.

I want to mention three minor issues/requests [1]:

1. Please consider moving /home/root/.intone/art to /usr/share/intone,
it is quite strange to install files in to user directory.

2. Same for /home/root/.intone/intone_songs.db, after upgrading to 0.21
my previous db was overwritten. If you change the db structure I
understand you may not bother to upgrade user db on this level of
development, but if not it would be better to create this file only if
user does not have one.

3. Improve on my personal use case: I mainly use intone (was pythm
before) to listen to lectures, so for me it would be great if intone
after restart remembered position in the file so after hitting play it
will continue playing where I have paused it in previous run.

[1] For now I will not find time to write a patch, but if you will be
interested I may consider it in a distant future :).
c_c
2009-04-08 01:21:41 UTC
Hi,

1. Please consider moving /home/root/.intone/art to /usr/share/intone, it is quite strange to install files in to user directory.

Sorry for that one. I was doing that so I could test on my laptop (and forgot that the release was last generated on my PC). Will release a fix today.

2. Same for /home/root/.intone/intone_songs.db, after upgrading to 0.21 my previous db was overwritten.

Actually, your old db should be there in /usr/share/intone. I changed the location of this file in this release. Don't you think a file that gets changed frequently should be in the users home directory?

3 .....if intone after restart remembered position in the file so after hitting play it will continue playing where I have paused it in previous run.

Well, I have catered for remembering the last file that was playing - but not impemented it yet. Will add remembering the pause position too. Should be done today.

I have added a few icons - and the CPU usage has gone up to about 2.5%. Using a smaller play list (instead of the default 0 All Songs) reduces CPU usage to ~ 1.5%. Just thought I'll share this too.

@ Treviño - Well, I don't have OM 2008 to test this on - but that is strange. Can you confirm the newer version also does this? I guess I'll have to download OM2008 now!
Łukasz Pankowski
2009-04-08 05:26:04 UTC
Post by Łukasz Pankowski
Hi,
1. Please consider moving /home/root/.intone/art to /usr/share/intone,
it is quite strange to install files in to user directory.
Sorry for that one. I was doing that so I could test on my laptop (and
forgot that the release was last generated on my PC). Will release a
fix today.
2. Same for /home/root/.intone/intone_songs.db, after upgrading to
0.21 my previous db was overwritten.
Actually, your old db should be there in /usr/share/intone. I changed
the location of this file in this release. Don't you think a file that
gets changed frequently should be in the users home directory?
"Same" was referring to "it is quite strange to install files in to user
directory", but it could mislead to refer to "consider moving" which I
did not intended to propose here. For sure it is the best place to have
users files in ~/.intone, but /home/root/.intone/intone_songs.db was one
of the files in the package (as shown by "opkg files intone") so the
songs db was overwritten on the install with the one from the package. I
had to delete it and start with the empty one.

/usr/share/intone is now empty, but I have all sound files in single
directory, so it took less of my time to recreate the db than to write
this sentence :).

By the way when adding files it would be nice to have (if not a progress
bar) a message of the form "Adding directory %s, %d files scanned" (or
similar) updated every second (or may be twice a second), so the user
knows something is going on and the program is not frozen.
Post by Łukasz Pankowski
3 .....if intone after restart remembered position in the file so
after hitting play it will continue playing where I have paused it in
previous run.
Well, I have catered for remembering the last file that was playing -
but not impemented it yet. Will add remembering the pause position
too. Should be done today.
Great!
c_c
2009-04-08 07:09:57 UTC
Hi,

...but /home/root/.intone/intone_songs.db was one of the files in the package (as shown by "opkg files intone") so the
songs db was overwritten on the install with the one from the package.

Actually, the db file was in /usr/share/intone in version .20. I changed the location to ~/.intone only in version .21
But point taken - will cater for such situations. Some guys might have custom playlists which could be cumbersome to recreate.

By the way when adding files it would be nice to have (if not a progress bar) a message of the form "Adding directory %s, %d files scanned"

Will try to fit that in too! Have already added a feature where if you exit when paused, the next run will automatically start from the song at its paused position.
Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
2009-04-08 12:29:45 UTC
Post by c_c
@ Treviño - Well, I don't have OM 2008 to test this on - but that is strange. Can you confirm the newer version also does this? I guess I'll have to download OM2008 now!
Yes... New version does it too (I've not the needed oss module [I've it
built-in in my kernel], and I get an error, but this shouldn't be the
cause, isn't it?!).

However if you want to test it with Om2008, use this [1] e17 version
(following the instruciton I posted at [2]) to run it.

[1]
http://downloads.tuxfamily.org/3v1deb/openmoko/e17-illume-elementary%2bsvn20090402.tar.bz2
[2]
http://n2.nabble.com/On-the-Enlightenment-Bleeding-Edge-tp2131838p2131838.html
--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/
c_c
2009-04-08 16:19:18 UTC
Hi,

However if you want to test it with Om2008, use this [1] e17 version (following the instruciton I posted at [2]) to run it.

Will try that and see what gives.

Also, here is the latest version. Now, if you exit after pausing a playing file - intone will start with that song and position selected.

intone_0.22_arm.ipk
Cameron Frazier
2009-04-09 01:45:16 UTC
Very slick. Nice work c_c.

Question for the group though.

I have mp3 files driving mplayer to about 10%, while ogg files come in
about 45% of cpu. Is there way to reduce this, or is it simply a
function of the format? I seem to remember some talk about a lack of
an integer decoder for ogg, but frankly, the understandings audio
codecs elude me.

Kind regards,

Cameron
Hi,
c_c
2009-04-09 02:04:01 UTC
Hi,

Very slick. Nice work c_c.

Thanks! Glad you liked it. Let me know what you didn't like too.

I have mp3 files driving mplayer to about 10%, while ogg files come in about 45% of cpu.

mplayer builds are generally compiled to use libvorbis which is a floating point implementation. Its easy enough to compile tremor - which is an integer library (provides libidecvorbis IIRC) and is a drop in replacement. I have tried tremor and here's the CPU usage

ogg 44100 2 channel enc208
mplayer tremor
47.6% - 52.7% 18.5% - 20%

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to patch mplayer build to use tremor since I don't really know how the entire bitbake process works. BTW, mplayer has a built-in option to use tremor in its ./configure file.

If someone could point me in a direction that tells me how to go about changing the library being used for the build - or do it him/her self - that'll just be great and should bring down CPU usage to more acceptable levels.

*** Also, I'm thinking of forking intone to handle videos as well. Mostly same code - but with a gui optimised for videos (I'm thinking Landscape mode). But apparently I'll need another version of mplayer-glamo. Things would get simpler if the standard mplayer ipk could come with the glamo patches and linked to tremor.

Any Ideas?
Cameron Frazier
2009-04-09 02:05:11 UTC
To follow up my own e-mail (again), this seems to be a ogg issue.
mp3s have a proper counter pace, though the value is in s, not m:ss
(minor point really, I shouldn't complain)

Kind regards,

Cameron

On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Cameron Frazier
Interesting thing.  When I'm playing songs, the slider move and the
counter increments, though faster then the song, with little relevance
to the track time/position.  The counter seems to go up to the mid
200s (244, 266, etc) and when it ends, the track changes, regardless
of the actual some position.
Is this a known issue? Or a local one to my FR?
Kind regards,
Cameron
On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:45 PM, Cameron Frazier
Very slick.  Nice work c_c.
Question for the group though.
I have mp3 files driving mplayer to about 10%, while ogg files come in
about 45% of cpu.  Is there way to reduce this, or is it simply a
function of the format?  I seem to remember some talk about a lack of
an integer decoder for ogg, but frankly, the understandings audio
codecs elude me.
Kind regards,
Cameron
Hi,
c_c
2009-04-09 02:22:24 UTC
Hi,

To follow up my own e-mail (again), this seems to be a ogg issue. mp3s have a proper counter pace, though the value is in s, not m:ss

All minor points welcome too. :-)
I just tried randomly pressing buttons and changing playlists, and I could see the counter go to 2x after changing the selected playlist and pressing the next button. Must have missed setting up the timer on playlist change. Will sort it out today.

I'm aware of the m:s and not m:ss issue. Will fix that one today too - I think it slipped my mind when I was working on the .22 release. Really miss a good tasks client for the FR. Thanks for pointing that out.
c_c
2009-04-09 04:31:32 UTC
Hi,

**** ERROR ****

The latest version has an error with the timer. The slider runs at 2x and the next song gets played after half the time. Will post a fix soon.
c_c
2009-04-09 07:34:53 UTC
Hi,

Bugfix Release 0.23

Have fixed the following :-

1. timer bug introduced in 0.22
2. selecting a new playlist caused problems
3. time for songs with second durations < 10 being shown as 3:9 instead of 3:09

Have also updated the db with .22 . This will cause your db to be overwritten. If you don't have custom playlists - just install the latest version and add you music directory again.

For people with custom playlists who don't want their databases to be overwritten :-

0. ssh into the FR
1. mv ~/.intone/intone_songs.db ~/.intone/intone_songs.db.bak
2. install the ipk
3. mv ~/.intone/intone_songs.db.bak ~/.intone/intone_songs.db
4. sqlite3 ~/.intone/intone_songs.db
5. .schema state
6. if you see
CREATE TABLE state(key integer primary key, playlist text, song_no integer, volume integer, seek integer, dur integer);
all is fine. Type .quit and you're ready to go.

7. If you see
CREATE TABLE state(key integer primary key, playlist text, song_no integer, volume integer);

then give the following commands
alter table state add column seek integer;
and
alter table state add column dur integer;

Type .quit and you're ready to go.

intone_0.23_arm.ipk
Cameron Frazier

Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
2009-04-07 21:08:24 UTC
Post by c_c
Post by c_c
(BTW it works only in Illume WM, not in my standard system due to the fact that the window collapse withoutconsidering the preset evas size at all!)
Yup ! Thats exactly what happened to me. OK - so I should try it on the FR. I have the code for it commented out in gui.c. Will try it on the FR ASAP.
You can also use Xephyr for this. Launch it as:
Xephyr :1 -ac -dpi 283 -screen 480x640+86+295

Then launch e with something like:
DISPLAY=:1 enlightenment_start -profile illume

And finally use that new display for testing intone ;)
Post by c_c
I'm assuming from the lack of bug-reports that either there aren't many show stoppers - or that people haven't got the time to let me know about them yet. Hope it's the first reason though :-)
Well, I've not written this already, but if I run it in my OM2008 (where
I've installed latest e17 svn) when I launch intone I only get a black
window. It's so strange... No other elementary app does it!

However if I'm not wrong another that is using my e17-svn rootfs had no
issues... :|
--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/
Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
2009-04-21 23:01:45 UTC
Post by c_c
2. Can I have a slider kind of menu coming in from the sides/bottom? I know it can be done using evas - but I don't know how. That way I can shift out the top 3 buttons (and more that I will add later) from the view so increasing my view area - and yet have them available for use.
I don't know about animation, but if you want just to show the slider
when something is playing you have to add a box at the beginning, then
packing the data (sliders, labels...) there every time that is needed.
Then you can't simply hide them not to show them; you have to use
evas_object_del for each component of the box, and finally hide (not
delete) the box.

I've an implementation of this in eTube, give a look to my search-bar code.
--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/
c_c
2009-04-22 01:58:03 UTC
Hi,
...... you have to use evas_object_del for each component
of the box, and finally hide (not delete) the box.
Thanks for the tip. Will try that out today. Actually, I've also figured
out how
to make the list smaller in the vertical axis. All that was needed was to
reduce
the finger size.
Still learning the nuances of using elementary - and most things turn out
be pretty elementary once you know how!
If only there was a cookbook....
Yorick Moko
2009-04-22 19:51:18 UTC
when i try to add my directory it always crashes to desktop
i get no error message whatsoever just a plain crash
it's just one folder with 100+ mp3s
Hi,
c_c
2009-04-24 00:57:33 UTC
Hi,
Post by Yorick Moko
when i try to add my directory it always crashes to desktop
i get no error message whatsoever just a plain crash
it's just one folder with 100+ mp3s
Could you send me your /home/root/.intone/intone_songs.db? It's probably
due to
an inconsistent db. Will help me fix whatever causes this crash.
BTW I'm managing around 3.5GB of songs in 25 folders. :-) Thought there's
always
a situation where something can happen that I've not catered for.
Thanks.
Adam Jimerson
2009-04-24 01:14:47 UTC
Post by c_c
Hi,
Post by Yorick Moko
when i try to add my directory it always crashes to desktop
i get no error message whatsoever just a plain crash
it's just one folder with 100+ mp3s
Could you send me your /home/root/.intone/intone_songs.db? It's probably
due to
an inconsistent db. Will help me fix whatever causes this crash.
BTW I'm managing around 3.5GB of songs in 25 folders. :-) Thought there's
always
a situation where something can happen that I've not catered for.
Thanks.
While we are on the subject of Intone, I don't know if this was already
brought up, but Intone shouldn't be able to adjust the FreeRunners volume
level, while adjusting Intone to a nice volume to listen to music it also made
my phone so quite I missed several calls because I couldn't hear it ring. I
don't know if this was intended but IIRC mplayer has its own volume control
that Intone can manage.
Al Johnson
2009-04-24 09:49:48 UTC
Post by Adam Jimerson
While we are on the subject of Intone, I don't know if this was already
brought up, but Intone shouldn't be able to adjust the FreeRunners volume
level, while adjusting Intone to a nice volume to listen to music it also
made my phone so quite I missed several calls because I couldn't hear it
ring. I don't know if this was intended but IIRC mplayer has its own
volume control that Intone can manage.
If intone listens to fso messages it could pause on incoming call and restore
the volume to its original state, then resume when the call ends.
Adam Jimerson
2009-04-24 10:34:53 UTC
Post by Al Johnson
Post by Adam Jimerson
While we are on the subject of Intone, I don't know if this was already
brought up, but Intone shouldn't be able to adjust the FreeRunners volume
level, while adjusting Intone to a nice volume to listen to music it also
made my phone so quite I missed several calls because I couldn't hear it
ring. I don't know if this was intended but IIRC mplayer has its own
volume control that Intone can manage.
If intone listens to fso messages it could pause on incoming call and
restore the volume to its original state, then resume when the call ends.
If it can do that, can't it also be set to restore the volume to its original
state when intone is closed so that the user doesn't have to remember the
original volume for when they close it?
c_c
2009-04-25 01:42:08 UTC
Hi,

@Yorick Moko - Thanks for the db file. Will look for the problem.

@ vendion - When mplayer is already playing something - I don't think the
ringtone will be played too. Intone already remembers the volume to which it
was set when closed. I can restore the system volume too. Will add that too.
Thanks.

@ Al Johnson - I agree. the ability to pause on incoming calls is missing.
I'm working on it. Should be done by Sunday.
c_c
2009-04-27 00:58:24 UTC
Hi,
The openmoko feeds have changed some library names to something like
libecore_evas-ver-pre-01.so.0. And now programs compiled here don't run on
any other distribution.
Will need more time to come up with a release. I'm pretty much done adding
dbus support and have altered the finger size to hopefully better
propotions.
Will release soon.
kimaidou
2009-04-27 07:18:10 UTC
Hi c_c

And what about a debian .deb package ? There are already some music player
packages, but none is as finger friendly as inton (my opinion), e.g Sonata,
or gmpc (which are frontend for mpd )

Thanks in advance
Kimaidou
http://n2.nabble.com/Intone-%280.30---beta-release%29-Elementary-based-mplayer-frontend-tp2587826p2721237.html
c_c
2009-04-27 09:11:34 UTC
Hi,
Post by kimaidou
And what about a debian .deb package ?
Well, I hadn't thought of one. Thanks for bringing this up. Will have to
read some tutorials on how to make one. I think they are quite similar to
the .ipk's in that they too have a control file etc.
The next release - coming soon - will have a .deb package too.
kimaidou
2009-04-27 09:24:07 UTC
thanks a lot !
Post by c_c
Hi,
http://n2.nabble.com/Intone-%280.30---beta-release%29-Elementary-based-mplayer-frontend-tp2587826p2723962.html
Yorick Moko
Robin Paulson
2009-05-01 11:31:49 UTC
Post by Yorick Moko
when i try to add my directory it always crashes to desktop
i get no error message whatsoever just a plain crash
it's just one folder with 100+ mp3s
 Could you send me your /home/root/.intone/intone_songs.db? It's probably
due to
an inconsistent db. Will help me fix whatever causes this crash.
 BTW I'm managing around 3.5GB of songs in 25 folders. :-) Thought there's
always
a situation where something can happen that I've not catered for.
Thanks.
yeah, i'm gettign this same behaviour as well. i'm using shr-testing
too, and have got elementary, sqlite3 and mplayer installed

i tried deleting the .db and running intone again, but the same thing happened
Robin Paulson
2009-05-01 11:37:55 UTC
Post by Robin Paulson
 Could you send me your /home/root/.intone/intone_songs.db? It's probably
due to
an inconsistent db. Will help me fix whatever causes this crash.
 BTW I'm managing around 3.5GB of songs in 25 folders. :-) Thought there's
always
a situation where something can happen that I've not catered for.
Thanks.
yeah, i'm gettign this same behaviour as well. i'm using shr-testing
too, and have got elementary, sqlite3 and mplayer installed
i tried deleting the .db and running intone again, but the same thing happened
never mind, it was happening because my files didn't have an
extension. adding .mp3 fixed it

is this a bug with intone?
c_c
2009-05-01 14:37:40 UTC
Hi,
Post by Robin Paulson
happening because my files didn't have an
extension. adding .mp3 fixed it
is this a bug with intone?
Ah ! Talk about missing the obvious. Yup - probably. Intone expects an
extension. Didn't want to play with magic to get the file type - and here we
are.
OK, this should hopefully help me stopping the crash. I'm still wondering
whether I should get into the magic part - could really slow down the scan.
What do you (anyone) think?
Robin Paulson
2009-05-02 02:22:29 UTC
Post by c_c
Post by Robin Paulson
happening because my files didn't have an
extension. adding .mp3 fixed it
is this a bug with intone?
Ah ! Talk about missing the obvious. Yup - probably. Intone expects an
extension. Didn't want to play with magic to get the file type - and here we
are.
 OK, this should hopefully help me stopping the crash. I'm still wondering
whether I should get into the magic part - could really slow down the scan.
 What do you (anyone) think?
tough question to answer - it means weighing thre balance between how
likely people are to having files with no extension, the time it adds
to do scanning, whether people could figure out what i figured out,
and how likely people would be to change the filenames.

i found the same thing happened with amarok - it expects an extension as well

on the other hand, you could just let people add *anything* to the
library, regardless of whether it's music, image, executable, or
whatever else they're likely to do, and then let mplayer sort out what
happens when you try to play a non-audio track - i'm guessing mplayer
can work out without being told, what type of file it is?
Robin Paulson
2009-05-02 10:14:12 UTC
there are another few things i'd like to see in intone, if it's not
too much to ask:

1. could you provide a setting for the default directory at startup?
even if it's only configurable by editing a text file is fine

2. is there any chance of getting songs displayed with their id3 tags,
rather than filenames? or does that slow things down too much?

3. there's an annoying flickering whenever i enter a new directory in
the 'add albums' page. maybe it's an intone bug, maybe the glamo
driver, maybe elementary?

cheers, excellent app!
c_c
2009-05-06 09:55:36 UTC
Hi,
Post by Robin Paulson
1. could you provide a setting for the default directory at startup?
I'm not sure what you mean. I wrote intone with the idea that you don't
need to deal with directories at all. Add songs, select/edit a playlist, and
that gets loaded when you start.
Or are you talking about a default directory in the directory browser?
Post by Robin Paulson
2. is there any chance of getting songs displayed with their id3 tags,
rather than filenames?
Thats going along - though slowly. I'm going to release a new version by
the weekend that allows the user to toggle to a different view with album
art and id3 tags (if available).
Do you want id3 tags in the list too?
Post by Robin Paulson
3. there's an annoying flickering whenever i enter a new directory in
?the 'add albums' page.
Are you talking about the 1st entry getting selected/unselected 3 times or
4?
That seems to happen when I use genlists - seems like an elementary thing -
though it could be my fault. Let me try and solve that.

The new version will also have sliders for bass and treble. And some
cleanups.
Yogiz
2009-05-06 10:18:36 UTC
If requests are in order I'll give you mine as well.

Does it seem to me, or is Intone still lacking a "repeat" option. It's
tiresome restarting the playlist when it runs out. Also, I suggest you
still check files' existance before loading them as I've still had
problems, when I load playlists where the files have been added, moved
or deleted in the folder.

I'd also be interested to know, how interfacing with dbus is coming
along. The most important thing right now would be to get the CPU
resource registration to work so we wouldn't have to disable
autosuspend manually.

Also, I'd really prefer if you'd make adding new music file-based
instead of album/directory based. We should just be able to browse
through directories and select multiple files and add them to the
current playlist which should be savable.

Other than that, good work, keep it up.

Yogiz
c_c
2009-05-06 11:03:55 UTC
Hi,
Post by Yogiz
Post by Yogiz
If requests are in order I'll give you mine as well.
:-) - Yup, requests are welcome.
Post by Yogiz
Post by Yogiz
is Intone still lacking a "repeat" option. It's
tiresome restarting the playlist when it runs out.
Ok. I'm assuming you want the playlist to repeat after it ends. Will add
that
as an option.
Post by Yogiz
Also, I suggest you
still check files' existance before loading them as I've still had
problems, when I load playlists where the files have been added, moved
or deleted in the folder.
Hmmm. I *am* checking for the files presence - but apparently the
way I handle missing files is not too great. Will have to sort that out.
Post by Yogiz
I'd also be interested to know, how interfacing with dbus is coming
along.
Thats partially done. request resource (CPU) works - but pause on incoming
calls is a little flaky. Should be done by the weekend though.
Post by Yogiz
Also, I'd really prefer if you'd make adding new music file-based
instead of album/directory based.
Ok. This will take a little time - but I'll add that as an alternate.
Robin Paulson
2009-05-06 11:43:02 UTC
Post by Robin Paulson
1. could you provide a setting for the default directory at startup?
 I'm not sure what you mean. I wrote intone with the idea that you don't
need to deal with directories at all. Add songs, select/edit a playlist, and
that gets loaded when you start.
 Or are you talking about a default directory in the directory browser?
yes, i'm talking about a default directory.

i prefer not to use the playlists, selecting albums folder by folder,
using the file structure as if it was a library - much easier and
simpler i find
Post by Robin Paulson
2. is there any chance of getting songs displayed with their id3 tags,
rather than filenames?
 Thats going along - though slowly. I'm going to release a new version by
the weekend that allows the user to toggle to a different view with album
art and id3 tags (if available).
 Do you want id3 tags in the list too?
yes, that'd be great. so long as it doesn't slow things down too much
Post by Robin Paulson
3. there's an annoying flickering whenever i enter a new directory in
?the 'add albums' page.
 Are you talking about the 1st entry getting selected/unselected 3 times or
4?
yes, you put it better than me
That seems to happen when I use genlists - seems like an elementary thing -
though it could be my fault. Let me try and solve that.
great
 The new version will also have sliders for bass and treble. And some
cleanups.
i'd say: keep it simple and leave the sliders out - i know what a hard
job it is mixing and mastering music for hundreds of different
playback devices, and i'm not sure what we can add by clumsily
tweaking the sound with a software EQ.

i like intone *a lot* as it is. i think with the above things, it'd be
perfect. so many apps get more and more bloated, adding (imo)
unnecessary features. but that's just me

oh, one other thing - can you make the play button change to a pause
symbol when it's playing?

cheers
c_c
2009-05-06 12:49:59 UTC
Hi,
Post by Robin Paulson
Post by Robin Paulson
yes, i'm talking about a default directory.
i prefer not to use the playlists, selecting albums folder by folder,
using the file structure as if it was a library - much easier and
simpler i find
If I understand you correctly, you're looking at adding a folder and
letting
intone play it.
As of now, if you add the root folder of your music to intone, you'll
get all your folders added as albums and playlists automatically. Then - you
just use the playlist you want (which is the same as selecting that folder).
Or am I missing something you want?
Post by Robin Paulson
Post by Robin Paulson
 Do you want id3 tags in the list too?
yes, that'd be great. so long as it doesn't slow things down too much
It *will* slow down the initial scan at the very least. And increase
dependency on another set of libraries. Let me think over this.
Post by Robin Paulson
Post by Robin Paulson
 The new version will also have sliders for bass and treble.
i'd say: keep it simple and leave the sliders out
I was looking at controlling the bass and treble levels in the WM8753 tone
control. Not software based.
Post by Robin Paulson
oh, one other thing - can you make the play button change to a pause
symbol when it's playing?
:-) That's been one thing I've always managed to miss in every release. Will
do that this time.
Robin Paulson
2009-05-07 00:12:58 UTC
 If I understand you correctly, you're looking at adding a folder and
letting
intone play it.
 As of now, if you add the root folder of your music to intone, you'll
get all your folders added as albums and playlists automatically. Then - you
just use the playlist you want (which is the same as selecting that folder).
 Or am I missing something you want?
sorry, that was badly explained - i was saying it's great as is. no
need to change anything (imo)!
Post by Robin Paulson
Post by Robin Paulson
 Do you want id3 tags in the list too?
yes, that'd be great. so long as it doesn't slow things down too much
 It *will* slow down the initial scan at the very least. And increase
dependency on another set of libraries. Let me think over this.
oh, in that case, i'm not that keen on adding it. i like how it's nice
and responsive at the moment, even on slow hardware
Post by Robin Paulson
Post by Robin Paulson
 The new version will also have sliders for bass and treble.
i'd say: keep it simple and leave the sliders out
 I was looking at controlling the bass and treble levels in the WM8753 tone
control. Not software based.
oh, i see. got you. is there a global mixer for doing this? might be a
better way, rather than re-creating what's already there
Post by Robin Paulson
oh, one other thing - can you make the play button change to a pause
symbol when it's playing?
:-) That's been one thing I've always managed to miss in every release. Will
do that this time.
cool. not a biggie

looking forward to the new release
c_c
2009-05-07 01:03:09 UTC
Hi,
Post by Robin Paulson
 Do you want id3 tags in the list too?
oh, in that case, i'm not that keen on adding it. i like how it's nice
and responsive at the moment, even on slow hardware
I'm still considering this. Will investigate the actual performance hit
after this weekend's release. If it is acceptable at the time of the
initial scan, I'll include this in a later release.
Post by Robin Paulson
oh, i see. got you. is there a global mixer for doing this?
Yup, I'll just use amixer to set the values.
Post by Robin Paulson
can you make the play button change to a pause symbol when it's playing?
Already Done.

Ok. So here's what's done.

* Bass and treble sliders
* better sizes (imo)
* dbus integration - prevent suspens and pause on incoming call
* alternate ciew with id3 and album art
* default icon if no album art exists
* some clean ups
* icon change of play button to pause when playing

In process

* saving and restoring system volume, bass and treble settings for exit
and pause
* album art icon sizing
* getting song info for the alternate view when not playing
* scanning files without extension crash

Should be done by the weekend.

One more thing, since now SHR, OM 2009 (unstable) and FSO all use the
newer e libraries,
I'm thinking of moving over to them. Just wanted to know if there are people
still using older
distributions - in which case I'll have to release 2 diff packages.

For those on the newer libraries - a pre-release version is attached
below. Just wanted to
get some early feedback on the dbus stuff mainly - as also any other
relevant points.
Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
2009-05-07 02:57:24 UTC
Post by c_c
One more thing, since now SHR, OM 2009 (unstable) and FSO all use the
newer e libraries,
I'm thinking of moving over to them. Just wanted to know if there are people
still using older
distributions - in which case I'll have to release 2 diff packages.
For those on the newer libraries - a pre-release version is attached
below. Just wanted to
get some early feedback on the dbus stuff mainly - as also any other
relevant points.
I've just tried it again in my Om2008 with fresh svn e/elementary (just
recompiled), but I still get the "black" page bug.
This is quite strange since I only get this behavior with this
elementary application... Who knows why... :/
--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/
c_c
2009-05-07 04:05:45 UTC
Hi,
but I still get the "black" page bug. This is quite strange
since I only get this behavior with this elementary application
I cant seem to replicate this. Of course, in all probability, it
must be something I'm doing wrong :-). Can you - if you have
the time - go through the init code and see what could be off?
kimaidou
2009-05-07 07:14:12 UTC
Hi c_c

Sorry if I already asked the question : would it be possible to release a
debian deb package for intone ? I know there are other possibilities, but
your soft is very handy...
Thanks in advance

Kimaidou
Hi,
http://n2.nabble.com/Intone-%280.40---beta-pre-release%29-Elementary-based-mplayer-frontend-tp2587826p2826039.html
c_c
2009-05-07 07:22:59 UTC
Hi,
would it be possible to release a debian deb package for intone ?
Yup. Debian package too coming this time :-)
kimaidou
2009-05-07 08:50:48 UTC
GREAAT, thx
Marcel
2009-05-07 09:24:53 UTC
Post by kimaidou
Post by c_c
Yup. Debian package too coming this time :-)
--
GREAAT, thx
So you got an elementary and python-elm package for Debian?!
That'd be awsum, u knoez... ;)

Marcel
Petr Vanek
2009-05-07 08:27:03 UTC
I have tried the 0.40 (*) version on shr-unstable and all works good as
expected :)

Petr

* http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2825510/intone_0.40-pre_arm.ipk

On Wed, 6 May 2009 18:03:09 -0700 (PDT)
Post by c_c
Hi,
Post by Robin Paulson
[...]
http://n2.nabble.com/Intone-%280.30---beta-release%29-Elementary-based-mplayer-frontend-tp2587826p2825510.html
Petr Vaněk
http://biodynamika.cz
--
Petr Vanek
Customer Service Representative

ROBE lighting s. r. o.
TECHNICAL CENTER
Palackeho 416
757 01 Valasske Mezirici
Czech Republic

Cell: +420 723 452 980
Fax : +420 571 669 255
E-mail: ***@robe.cz
http://www.robe.cz
c_c
2009-05-07 08:49:54 UTC
Hi,
Post by Petr Vanek
I have tried the 0.40 (*) version on shr-unstable and all works good as
expected :)
Thanks. Hope the playing song resumes correctly on call hang up.
Any other feedback?
Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
2009-04-30 00:39:15 UTC
Post by c_c
b) How do I use the pager with a genlist? In my case the pager works - but it doesn't show the genlist - the buttons all show up though.
Give a look to my eTube code in projects.openmoko.org. It has an
implementation for it (BTW it works only in Illume WM, not in my
standard system due to the fact that the window collapse without
considering the preset evas size at all!)
Yup ! Thats exactly what happened to me. OK - so I should try it on the FR. I have the code for it commented out in gui.c. Will try it on the FR ASAP.
Ok, I've got this working also in a non-illume configuration. It was all
easy, you've just to use evas_object_size_hint_min_set() (and maybe also
the "max" correspondent) for setting the elm_bg min (max) size.
The pager won't touch it and it will work as expected ;).

See an example here [1].

[1]
http://dev.3v1n0.net/gitweb/?p=etube.git;a=commitdiff;h=51a3d7c92ab1e9d03bd74a2162c4bfda35299e8b
--
Treviño's World - Life and Linux
http://www.3v1n0.net/
c_c
2009-04-30 01:39:44 UTC
Hi,
Post by Marco Trevisan (Treviño)
Ok, I've got this working also in a non-illume configuration. It was all
easy, you've just to use evas_object_size_hint_min_set() (and maybe also
the "max" correspondent) for setting the elm_bg min (max) size.
The pager won't touch it and it will work as expected ;).
Thanks. :-) Really easy once you know how!
Yogiz
2009-04-11 12:52:32 UTC
Hi,

I just installed Intone 0.24 and I have to say I am very very
impressed. So far I've used pythm which compared to his is incredibly
slow and constantly has problems with repeating, has very long pauses
between the songs ect. Very very big thank you to you. I can finally
normally listen to music on the FR : ). Keep on doing whatever it is you
are doing.

Yogiz

---snip----
c_c
2009-04-12 05:57:46 UTC
Hi,
@Yogiz - Thank you for your kind words. I was mostly scratching my own itch ;-) and it's nice to know that intone finds a place on your FR.

@ all - I'm soon going to release a new version that (to my satisfaction at least) will provide accurate seek position __and__ prevent the sometimes occurring lock ups at the end of a song.

I'm also looking for some dbus help. Actually, I think I'll post another thread on the help I need :-)

There are 2 mysterious bugs remaining :-
1. an only black screen on running Intone on OM 2008.12
2. hang on selecting next / prev when playing a song

Are you facing these problems? Do let me know whatever you notice if you face these. Particularly on OM 2008.12. Thanks.
c_c
2009-04-13 16:10:03 UTC
Hi,
Here is the latest version of intone - 0.30. I've basically moved all lists to genlists and things have speeded up a little. Also lots of bug fixes - largely due to feedback from Yogiz and The Digital Pioneer.
As always, feedback is more than welcome!

intone_0.30_arm.ipk
Cameron Frazier
2009-04-13 16:28:32 UTC
c_c

Again, very nice. I'm running with PaulTT's mplayer which includes
tremor, and performance is awesome. Python/intone CPU load is ~4%,
and mplayer is ~9% when playing MP3's; ~4% and ~12% for ogg files.

Fantastic work to both you and PaulTT.

Cameron
c_c
2009-04-13 16:48:07 UTC
Hi,
Glad you liked it!

Python/intone CPU load is ~4%, and mplayer is ~9% when playing MP3's; ~4% and ~12% for ogg files.

BTW - Intone is written in C and uses elementary - perhaps the biggest reason why its fast enough. Rasterman and co deserve kudos for their work on elementary too!
Cameron Frazier
2009-04-13 16:52:30 UTC
ack, error on my part. I was working on some python here and forgot
that intone was in C. Thanks for the reminder!

Cameron
Hi,
 Glad you liked it!
Christian Gagneraud
2009-05-07 10:08:21 UTC
Post by c_c
[...]

hum.. stupid question: Where do you get the dependencies from?
(mplayer, codecs, etc...). I'm using OM 2009 testing release 2.

Thanks,
Chris
intone_0.20_arm.ipk
Yorick Moko
2009-05-07 10:28:45 UTC
it won't run here:

***@om-gta02 ~ $ opkg install http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2825510/intone_0.40-pr
e_arm.ipk
Downloading http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2825510/intone_0.40-pre_arm.ipk
Multiple packages (intone and intone) providing same name marked HOLD
or PREFER. Using latest.
Multiple packages (intone and intone) providing same name marked HOLD
or PREFER. Using latest.
Upgrading intone on root from 0.30 to 0.40-pre...
Collected errors:
* ERROR: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for intone:
* elementary *
***@om-gta02 ~ $ opkg install http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2825510/intone_0.40-pr
e_arm.ipk -force-depends
Downloading http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2825510/intone_0.40-pre_arm.ipk
Multiple packages (intone and intone) providing same name marked HOLD
or PREFER. Using latest.
Multiple packages (intone and intone) providing same name marked HOLD
or PREFER. Using latest.
Upgrading intone on root from 0.30 to 0.40-pre...
Configuring intone
Collected errors:
* Warning: Cannot satisfy the following dependencies for intone:
* elementary *
***@om-gta02 ~ $ DISPLAY=:0 intone
intone: error while loading shared libraries: libehal-ver-pre-01.so.0:

c_c
2009-05-07 10:31:15 UTC
Hi,
Post by Christian Gagneraud
hum.. stupid question: Where do you get the dependencies from?
(mplayer, codecs, etc...). I'm using OM 2009 testing release 2.
Well, to get mplayer just do a 'opkg install mplayer'. mplayer includes all
codecs it supports.
There is an optimised version of mplayer (by paulTT) if you have a lot of
ogg files here.[1] This will reduce CPU usage by about 50%.

[1]
http://www.paultt.org/downloads/openmoko/mplayer_dev-SVN-r29155-4.1.2-tremor-low_armv4t.ipk
Christian Gagneraud
2009-05-07 12:26:01 UTC
Post by c_c
Hi,
Post by Christian Gagneraud
hum.. stupid question: Where do you get the dependencies from?
(mplayer, codecs, etc...). I'm using OM 2009 testing release 2.
Well, to get mplayer just do a 'opkg install mplayer'. mplayer includes all
codecs it supports.
hum doesn't work with om 2009, anyway, i followed the instructions at
http://etherpad.com/zt3x1x7ERX, and now it's working!

Thank you for your work, it looks cute!
c_c
2009-05-08 07:25:03 UTC
Hi,
Post by Christian Gagneraud
hum doesn't work with om 2009
can you post the error?
Post by Christian Gagneraud
Thank you for your work, it looks cute!
You're Welcome.

@kimaidou - Here's the deb package. I haven't checked it on my phone (since
I don't have debian) and I haven't added any dependencies cause I don't know
what the packages are called. So can you tell me the full names of the
following packages on debian ?
-elementary (providing libelementary)
-mplayer
-sqlite3

http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2843962/intone-0.40.deb intone-0.40.deb

@Marcel-2 - I'm not sure what you mean. I've made a deb package for
installing intone on a debian system. I hope the latest versions of
elementary are available for debian. This version needs the newer libraries.

@Yorick Moko - You're using a distribution with the older libraries. The
newer libraries use names like 'libehal-ver-pre-01.so.0'. I'll release a ipk
for the older libraries soon.
kimaidou
2009-05-08 13:32:51 UTC
Hi c_c

Thanks for the link. I tryed to download it via wget, then install it with
dpk -i, but it failed :
debian-gta02:~# dpkg -i intone-0.40.deb
dpkg-deb: unexpected end of file in header info member in intone-0.40.deb
dpkg: error processing intone-0.40.deb (--install):
subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
intone-0.40.deb

It seems the header of the deb file is wrong
Hi,
http://n2.nabble.com/Intone-%280.40---beta-pre-release%29-Elementary-based-mplayer-frontend-tp2587826p2843962.html
Marcel
2009-05-08 13:39:35 UTC
Post by c_c
@kimaidou - Here's the deb package. I haven't checked it on my phone
(since I don't have debian) and I haven't added any dependencies cause
I don't know what the packages are called. So can you tell me the full
names of the following packages on debian ?
-elementary (providing libelementary)
-mplayer
-sqlite3
http://n2.nabble.com/file/n2843962/intone-0.40.deb intone-0.40.deb
@Marcel-2 - I'm not sure what you mean. I've made a deb package for
installing intone on a debian system. I hope the latest versions of
elementary are available for debian. This version needs the newer libraries.
That's the trick about it: There's no "official" elementary debian package
yet and Mirko (?) told me some days ago on #openmoko that the python
bindings aren't that good yet, either. (Correct my if I remember wrong) So
the only choice is to build elm by hand since the new set of e17 packages
which is in preparation at the moment (Joachim Breitner is working on them
afaik, see pkg-e-devel mailinglist) doesn't contain elm yet.

--
Marcel