CMOS battery replacement
Andrew Schenck
2015-12-11 20:26:54 UTC
The secondhand GTA04 I have now is pretty beat up and can't charge
because the USB port is disconnected. I've been using a spare GTA02 as
a charger, but every time I switch out batteries the clock resets to
12/12/1999 16:00 and it's a pain to re-set it since network time doesn't
work. I couldn't find any information on the wiki about replacing the
CMOS battery to solve this problem; has anyone here dealt with this same
problem before and have recommendations?

I disassembled a GTA02 enough to see the battery, but it didn't yield to
gentle pressure trying to slide out of its bracket and I don't want to
destroy things too badly in my attempt to fix them so I didn't push too
hard. Because of this, I don't even know the exact type of button cell
to buy to replace it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Andrew
Benjamin Deering
2015-12-11 21:30:12 UTC
The backup battery (supercap?) is welded to its bracket and
won't push out.

I replaced the backup batteries in my GTA02s with supercaps several
years ago.
http://www.jeepingben.net/zen/zenphoto/index.php?album=2010/freerunner_supercap_install

The parts I used didn't match the original footprint so it was a little
work. If you get the exact replacement part, it would be easy if you
have soldering experience.

I vaguely remember a software problem causing the line that charges the
backup bat/cap not being set high.

Good luck,

Ben

Andrew Schenck
2015-12-11 23:38:54 UTC
That's a lot more work than I had hoped. Thanks very much for the info
though. If I'm going to be soldering I might as well try to fix the USB
port and GPS port at the same time.

-Andrew
Benjamin Deering
2015-12-12 02:06:29 UTC
Post by Andrew Schenck
The secondhand GTA04 I have now is pretty beat up and can't charge
because the USB port is disconnected. I've been using a spare
GTA02 as a charger, but every time I switch out batteries the
clock resets to 12/12/1999 16:00 and it's a pain to re-set it
since network time doesn't work. I couldn't find any information
on the wiki about replacing the CMOS battery to solve this
problem; has anyone here dealt with this same problem before and
have recommendations?
I was successful in fixing the USB port, but never tried the GPS port.
The GPS port is under a lot of stress when the board is installed.

I ended up giving up on the traces and soldering thin wires to the ESD
protection chip and to the leads on the jack.

After getting the USB port connected electrically, I used JB weld epoxy
to fix it mechanically. The repair lasted years including some pretty
rough use and being reflow soldered.

Good luck,

Ben
H. Nikolaus Schaller
2015-12-19 17:27:57 UTC
Post by Andrew Schenck
The secondhand GTA04 I have now is pretty beat up and can't charge
because the USB port is disconnected. I've been using a spare
GTA02 as a charger, but every time I switch out batteries the
clock resets to 12/12/1999 16:00 and it's a pain to re-set it
since network time doesn't work. I couldn't find any information
on the wiki about replacing the CMOS battery to solve this
problem; has anyone here dealt with this same problem before and
have recommendations?
The GTA04 already has a supercap in battery shape. They came to the market
in ~2011.

Since there is nothing to replace (a supercap rarely fails), it is most likely
a software issue that the charging current provided by the tpw65950 is not
enabled.

So which OS&kernel are you using? In most systems I know, the RTC
"resets" to 1st Jan 2000.
Post by Benjamin Deering
I was successful in fixing the USB port, but never tried the GPS port.
The GPS port is under a lot of stress when the board is installed.
Should not be the case. You should move the USB+GPS socket as flat as
possible into or out from the case. Then push out the case at the position
of the headset connector so that the latter snaps down a little in its hole.

This avoids breaking off connectors.

See also photos in chapter 4 (especially page 18) of the GTA04 system
manual:

http://projects.goldelico.com/p/gta04-main/downloads/47/
Post by Benjamin Deering
I ended up giving up on the traces and soldering thin wires to the ESD
protection chip and to the leads on the jack.
That is fine and indeed sometimes needed if a socket was broken off.
Post by Andrew Schenck
Post by Benjamin Deering
Post by Andrew Schenck
I disassembled a GTA02 enough to see the battery, but it didn't
yield to gentle pressure trying to slide out of its bracket and I
don't want to destroy things too badly in my attempt to fix them
so I didn't push too hard. Because of this, I don't even know the
exact type of button cell to buy to replace it. Any help would be
appreciated.
The GTA04 original part is a PAS414HR-VG1.

BTW: it should also work in the GTA02 (which has a real 3.3V LiIon cell
in 414 package).
Post by Benjamin Deering
Post by Andrew Schenck
Post by Benjamin Deering
Post by Andrew Schenck
Thanks,
-Andrew
BR and also good luck,
Nikolaus
Andrew Schenck
2015-12-22 01:35:33 UTC
Post by H. Nikolaus Schaller
Hi,
Post by Andrew Schenck
The secondhand GTA04 I have now is pretty beat up and can't charge
because the USB port is disconnected. I've been using a spare
GTA02 as a charger, but every time I switch out batteries the
clock resets to 12/12/1999 16:00 and it's a pain to re-set it
since network time doesn't work. I couldn't find any information
on the wiki about replacing the CMOS battery to solve this
problem; has anyone here dealt with this same problem before and
have recommendations?
The GTA04 already has a supercap in battery shape. They came to the market
in ~2011.
Since there is nothing to replace (a supercap rarely fails), it is most likely
a software issue that the charging current provided by the tpw65950 is not
enabled.
That's good to know. I had foolishly assumed that the GTA04 used the
same solution as the GTA02.
Post by H. Nikolaus Schaller
So which OS&kernel are you using? In most systems I know, the RTC
"resets" to 1st Jan 2000.
I'm using Radek's last QtMoko, v56 for GTA04, kernel
3.7.0-gta04-qtmoko-v56. The RTC *does* reset to 1 Jan 2000 0:00 but I'm
at UTC -8:00 so it becomes Dec 31, 1999 16:00. If I could trigger the
tpw65950 manually via console every once in a while that would be fine
enough.

Thanks,
-Andrew
Post by Andrew Schenck
Post by Benjamin Deering
Post by Andrew Schenck
I disassembled a GTA02 enough to see the battery, but it didn't
yield to gentle pressure trying to slide out of its bracket and I
don't want to destroy things too badly in my attempt to fix them
so I didn't push too hard. Because of this, I don't even know the
exact type of button cell to buy to replace it. Any help would be
appreciated.
The GTA04 original part is a PAS414HR-VG1.
BTW: it should also work in the GTA02 (which has a real 3.3V LiIon cell
in 414 package).
Post by Benjamin Deering
Post by Andrew Schenck
Post by Benjamin Deering